Friday, December 12, 2008

two weeks, but still...

It had been two weeks since a migraine, on Wednesday, when I started a swing of migraines.

I had a brief head pain on Saturday...where all of a sudden there's a sharp pain on the side of my head, but then it goes away.

Then on Tuesday I was very tired and I took a nap in the afternoon. I had a dull headache.

Wednesday I was super lethargic (nothing like a superlative thrown in to sound like a teenager...but really, I was very sleepy) and I took another afternoon nap. That night I had a headache a little stronger than the day before. I took alieve for that one. I know, you headache sufferers are exclaiming: alieve?! over the counter isn't going to work!! But it did. I think because it wasn't a migraine. I know, congrats to me to be able to use something lower grade, huh?!

Yesterday while running errands marked a bad one. I didn't have any aura (thank goodness, I would hate to have vertigo and vomiting in public--how humiliating) but the pain started all of a sudden and got progressively worse quickly. I debated with myself whether or not to take my migraine spray. I only get to take it up to two times a week. This was just an errand day. I still had The Nutcracker with my mom and daughters the next day (today) and my six year old's birthday party on Saturday to contend with.

The pain got worse and I figured I'll take this now, and then take it one day at a time, as I usually do. The spray took the edge off and I didn't take anything else.

I don't look at this as a set back. If anything it is a wonderful milestone. Almost two weeks without a migraine! That is phenomenal for me.

Funny how if this were two years ago and I had a migraine, the headache would be my focus. Now, it is the time without the headache that I'm thinking about. I am trying not to sound like some kind of martyr. I really am so happy that there's been a long gap between headaches. It feels like I might get onto a predictable schedule with my headaches soon. A year and a half after my onset of migraines. I never knew it was going to be so long. I also had no idea that I had this much strength, optimism, and perseverance. I have learned that I can do things that are hard. Faith in the Lord helps me through this and I am grateful for Him who knows me and gives me strength.

1 comment:

Cali Lovett said...

Just found your blog... I've had migraines all my life and am currently in a 3-week cycle that's making me nuts. Have you read the book "Heal Your Headache"? Has some great interesting info, written by a headache doc from Johns Hopkins. Just recently did a prednisone taper that only sort of worked--what dose have you been prescribed? Good luck with your headaches!! They are horrible, I know.
Thanks~