Monday, December 15, 2008

Period and Alieve

I wrote my neurologist an email a few days ago to get any advice to gear up for my mentstrual cycle that brings on a week or more of constant migraines. I mentioned to him that my migranal spray is only okay for two times a week and that I wasn't interested in the prednisone for my period, but would like suggestions on what I can do to help buffer.

He suggested the following two ideas:
He said a lot of women see benefits using alieve (naproxen) one to two times a day for the time around their periods. The other was to change the way I do my prednisone taper to a quicker and shorter six day treatment of 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, and then 10.

I am opting for the alieve. I have done it for a few days and haven't been suffering much at all. I know that I'm having a migraine but they aren't anything to complain about. No need for spray except last week one day, before my period started.

Hoping for an uneventful (it will be a first in a LONG time) cycle...

Are things looking up? I sure hope so.

2 comments:

Cali Lovett said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really appreciate the support. Also, thanks for the info about the prednesone. I had suspected the dose I was prescribed was too low and in the meantime found my old records... sure enough, it was. The taper I was just prescribed, btw, was 60, 40, 20, 10, 10, 10 and worked fine. Also, did I mention the book "Heal Your Headache" to you? After reading that book I cut caffeine out completely as well as many other odd things like yogurt, all nuts, all cheese except feta and chevre, bananas, all meats with nitrates, some other stuff. It has REALLY helped. Especially the caffeine, nuts, and cheese.

You're right about the guilt being the worst of it. My kids are still tiny (2yrs and 9 mo) so I can't just tell them to go play, which means I just get short with them and I hate myself for it.

Take care. I see a new neuro in early january. I'm hoping I can get the insurance co to pay for some botox. (but it's unlikely.) I hear it really helps....

Yumi said...

Hi Kim,
Just stumbled onto this and your other blog through facebook. I'm sorry to hear you suffering so. I know this coming from someone who doesn't have migranes may not sound too convincing...but my brother in law is a chiropractor. I worked for him right after I got married and to this day, still get regular chiropractic treatments. I've seen many of his patients really see significant results and improvements with proper chiropractic treatments...have you ever tried it?
Basically, the belief in chiropractic is that the nerves of your body all run along the spine-and it's these nerves that help your body function properly, from your brain, to your organs, your hormones, etc. everything is controlled by the nerves that connect your body together, which run along your spine. So, by taking care of your spine, you're taking care of your body. It may sound hokey, but with 3 pregnancies, I've never had headaches, backaches, or any complications. Even with nursing-I'd get stiff shoulders and back and chiropractic has helped relieve it. I've seen patients come off of diabetes, asthma, migrane medications because of chiropractic.
Don't know if you've ever tried it, or thought about it...but just thought I'd share.
Good luck with your pursuit of conquering this!

Yumi