Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just Plain Headache

I had a headache yesterday.

I'm 90% sure it was just a tension headache. I don't mean "just a.." to imply it wasn't just as painful--it was, if not more it seemed, more painful than some of my migraines. But I didn't have any additional symptoms and it was across my forehead and wrapped from ear to ear, like a headband, putting immense pressure in my eyes.

No light sensitivity (I don't ever get this anyway), no nausea, and though loud sounds hurt, running water or putting silverware away didn't bother me.

It's nice to know I can have a regular headache every once in a while.

Though I remember last year about this time, I took a migraine preventative treatment and it took these "non-migraine" headaches away. My neurologist's take on that was that the "non-migraine" headaches were probably migraines, as well.

I think it is interesting when people describe all of their worst headaches as migraines. On the flip, some people with mild headaches are actually having migraines and don't know there are better treatments than the naproxen, tylonel, or ibuprofen that may not be working for them.

I know that sometimes my migraines are mild, but because of the timing, the symptoms, the aura that precedes them, I know it's a migraine. I feel silly sometimes when I am having a migraine, but going about the day as normal, and somebody finds out that I'm having a migraine. They think I should be laying down in a dark room instead of doing errands, laundry, cooking dinner, being at the park. Like I'm some kind of martyr or something. I am definitely NOT a martyr! I'm an ultra sensitive, pain hating drama queen.

Lately my headaches (or migraines) last about four hours. That is a big change and a great relief, from how my headaches used to be. I would either have a two day migraine, or sometimes would have a few firing off every day for a week. Sometimes I would get a monster migraine that would only last half a day, but would leave me exhausted the next.

Whichever the head pain is called, however it is categorized, whatever the treatment is... headaches are a big disrupt to the flow of life. I feel like I'm better at them, though...like a professional migraineur. Yes! That is what I am! I've done plenty of study, asked my doctors numerous questions, and analyzed every little bit of my life before, during and after migraines. I'm an (almost) expert at how my body works and doesn't.

This self-absorption is tiring, but needed in figuring out how to function. Someday I hope I will not be thinking so much about migraines. Someday I hope I will have so little to do with migraines that this blog will be years old with nothing written. But as it is, I will push forward doing what I do. Following my doctor's orders, getting enough rest, drinking enough water, exercising and taking care of my stress.

No comments: