Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Official February News

This past cycle: I had a few small headaches that were short lasting and on one side of the head. But nothing to report except my life is getting back together!

It is a little unbelievable how much migraines can control life. My husband referred to the headaches as "that part of our lives is behind us now" and I am struggling to trust that. But eventually (I hope) life without the fear of a migraine will be the norm and I will look honestly at these migraines as a bad phase in life that I got through with strength.

I can report that it has been three months since I've had migraines a two to six times a week. The number is down to no more than five a month, and probably more like twice a month. That is phenomenal!

And I wish I knew exactly what it was to change this. My body's hormones, perhaps. The butterbur, perhaps. The yoga, perhaps. My advice to those suffering: go with your instincts on your care, be assertive with your neurologist, be aggressive on the research, and find something (healthy) that gives you peace, like yoga, writing, or the beach. It is important to find normalcy, some kind of normalcy, when you can't control what your body is doing.

Exercise is wonderful--and I know, that is the last thing you want to do when you are sure you will throw up, or you want to curl into fetal position in a dark, quiet room. But when the vomiting subsides, you're not dizzy, and you're not in too much pain: go for a walk, at least. Get some fresh air.

I know for many diet is key. I didn't find any foods that triggered my migraines. Though one time a smell triggered a migraine. I think for me it was that my body doesn't like change. For those who think it might be food, there is a book out there, I wish I knew the name, but it talks specifically about foods and migraines. My cousin mentioned it to me once, it helped her a lot, and if I find out the name, I will rewrite this post with the name.

Until my next post, hang in there.

3 comments:

Linda Kincaid said...

Who do you see? I have seen Dr. Kane at Northwest and loved him. Mine started with my last pregnancy and I don't have them as much as you did. More like once every few months or so! I do agree with the yoga and the excercing deal. My headaches that I used to get daily have subsided and I haven't had a migraine in a while!

Lefty said...

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear you've had migraines. Especially with a little baby and a busy boy.

My neurologist is Timothy Scearce; he is excellent.

I'm not sure what to do with this blog now that mine are under control now... I will keep it online because it has information that was so helpful in my progression. I remember being on the computer a lot when we were trying to figure out what this was all about. Of course, a lot of computer screen time was not good for the headaches! I remember being nauseated from just looking at the computer or trying to read! So glad that is behind me now.

Cali Lovett said...

the book is "Heal Your Headache" by a doc from Johns Hopkins Headache Clinic. It's a great book, if only because he gives a fabulous pep talk. He does not claim to have a cure for migraines, only help getting control over them. I recommend it.